Repair diary Sinclair C5 - Page 3:Friday, 24. April 2009:
Exhumation of a motorReleased the steering bar with a hammer and finally removed the body.
Opened the motor control box and found some bugs. Literally.
But scared from my threatening with a screwdriver they fled instantly.
By the way: it was not the motor making buzzing noises but the relay.
Also found the reason: the 2k2 resistor R1 was burnt-out.
The motor doesn't make anything. Even if connected directly with 12V. Therefore I disassemble it.
Aplenty of dust, dirt and spider nests on and inside the motor. Looks like exhumed.
Grease and dirt joined to a ropy compound inside the gearbox.
Saturday, 25. April 2009:
Let there be light!Motor and gearbox cleaned, sanded the rust, all parts greased and reassembled.
No idea what the problem actually was - but now the motor runs again.
Motor control still not working. Obtained spare parts and replaced the LM358 OPV.
A 2A 7805 voltage regulator follows the original LM342 (you must replace R1 by a wire jumper for this). Now the LED display is working at least.
Unfortunately the relay is still not working.
Repair diary: table of contents
- Page 1Prelude
- Page 1A new project
- Page 2Demounting and first problems
- Page 2Fighting with steering bar
- Page 3Exhumation of a motor
- Page 3Let there be light!
- Page 4The "ant cave"
- Page 4Rust, rust, rust
- Page 5Sanding, sanding, sanding
- Page 5Sanding the brake attachment
- Page 6Sanding the frame
- Page 6Front wheel dismounted and sanded
- Page 6A soap opera
- Page 7Finished with sanding the frame, painted the wheel fork
- Page 7Frame and wheel fork painted
- Page 8Painted the wheel fork once again, front wheel ball-bearings cleaned
- Page 8Ball-bearings from the Titanic
- Page 9A Puky gives its life
- Page 9An electric toothbrush with some real power
- Page 10Back to work!
- Page 10Gear hub mounting
- Page 10Chain and other things
- Page 11Reflector stripes, assembly, new problems
- Page 11Trailer hitch and more
- Page 12I am frustrated!
- Page 12Puky is cannibalised again
- Page 13I am Iron Man!
- Page 13Gear hub mounting finished
- Page 14Front wheel rim made of steel
- Page 14Make it street legal