Repair diary Sinclair C5 - Page 2:Wednesday, 22. April 2009:
Demounting and first problemsStudied all C5 websites in the meantime. Ordered new tries on eBay.
Also purchased a SRAM gear hub by auction. The plan is to assemble it between pedals and rear axis. Don't know yet how to do this in detail. I will think about this later.
Connected the electronics for test purposes with a 12V supply. Lights working but motor makes only buzzing noises. O_o
Hope that it isn't broken...
To discover this (and more surprises) I started to dismount the C5.
Since the C5 is a real veteran vehicle with presumably only a few units remaining I will proceed very gently. So modifications should be unremarkable to maintain the original Sinclair look.
First bad surprise: chassis has many rusty spots. This certainly means a lot of work for me.
Removed the trunk, the chassis screws and the lights. Can't go on because I need suitable tools.
And how the hell shall I remove the steering bar? Removed the related screw but it still won't move.
Have to check this tomorrow.
Thursday, 23. April 2009:
Fighting with steering barGah! Just left 40 Euro in the local hardware store for wrenches, rust remover and zinc spray. Next time better eBay.
Dismounted pedals and wheels.
In spite of rust remover the steering bar is still steadfast.
Work myself to death the entire evening. Must be out of shape or completely seized upon.
Guess I will need more drastic methods for this.
Repair diary: table of contents
- Page 1Prelude
- Page 1A new project
- Page 2Demounting and first problems
- Page 2Fighting with steering bar
- Page 3Exhumation of a motor
- Page 3Let there be light!
- Page 4The "ant cave"
- Page 4Rust, rust, rust
- Page 5Sanding, sanding, sanding
- Page 5Sanding the brake attachment
- Page 6Sanding the frame
- Page 6Front wheel dismounted and sanded
- Page 6A soap opera
- Page 7Finished with sanding the frame, painted the wheel fork
- Page 7Frame and wheel fork painted
- Page 8Painted the wheel fork once again, front wheel ball-bearings cleaned
- Page 8Ball-bearings from the Titanic
- Page 9A Puky gives its life
- Page 9An electric toothbrush with some real power
- Page 10Back to work!
- Page 10Gear hub mounting
- Page 10Chain and other things
- Page 11Reflector stripes, assembly, new problems
- Page 11Trailer hitch and more
- Page 12I am frustrated!
- Page 12Puky is cannibalised again
- Page 13I am Iron Man!
- Page 13Gear hub mounting finished
- Page 14Front wheel rim made of steel
- Page 14Make it street legal